Why Polka Dots?


I have been thinking about things that make me happy lately. What are those little things that bring a smile to our faces, but we don't really appreciate?

I was out for coffee with my friend Heather last Friday. She wanted to stop in a nearby store before leaving the mall. As we walked through the mall, some brightly colored wrapping paper caught me eye. They had florals, stripes and, yes, polk dot papers in wonderfully cheery colors : mango, magenta, citron, aqua, purple. I just couldn't help but think "aren't those cute"? I especially liked the citron polka dot paper and thought it would brighten the bookshelves in my new craft room. Heather told me that her daughter Molly always says that "polka dots make her happy".

You know, she's right. Think about it, would a polka dot ever make you feel sad, crabby or anxious? No! They are fun and whimsical. I dare you to look at something with polka dots and not feel your inner child smile. So that's the theme of my blog. Everyday I plan to find that little something that makes my inner child say "ooo, look at that!" and brings a smile to my face. I hope you do the same!


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bridge The Divide


Bill's computer finally gave up the ghost and we have to invest in a new one. Problem is that we already have 1 old computer collecting dust in the basement. Now we'll have two (plus assorted cables, manuals etc..... They are taking up room we DON'T have!

Enter FREE GEEK Minneapolis. Another great find on Google from my search of "how to recycle old computers". This is a really cool organization. Started in Portland Oregon, Free Geek's mission is two fold; help close the digital divide by providing computers to low income families AND reduce the amount of electronic waste going into landfills. Can't argue with that! Basically they collect old computers, refurbish them and install open source software. They sell the computers for $40 - $80. Any computers that can't be refurbished get broken down into their component parts and recycle them.

I plan to volunteer once a month. They are open on Saturdays 12 - 5. They need old computers, printers, scanners and volunteers. They will train you and you will get a chance to give back to the community and help make the world a little greener.

Free Geek operates in Portland, OR, Minneapolis, MN , Columbus OH, Chicago, IL, They are popping up everywhere. Google your town and see if they are operating.

P.S. kids can volunteer too....get them off the game console and put them to work!

What made you happy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment